Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

3 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One - Page 30 Empty Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Luka made a face. "gross. Computer, regular clothes please." She looked relieved as the gown disappeared and she was just in her usual cargo pants and vest. "Who should we go annoy then?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One - Page 30 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Web shook his head. "We're not immune to dehydration unfortunately and even the water elementals, they expend energy to summon water, eventually they die of exhaustion with nothing to refuel their body. " He looked grim. "Going out there uncovered and at any point other than dusk is certain death. Some are sent out there as punishment for their crimes, and there are some who chose to do so, they walk out into the suns rise. Nobody bothers trying to find their bodies, what's the point? "

"What... what sort of crimes?" Luka gulped.

"Murder usually. It doesn't happen often. The Kevali are generally a very peaceful people and there's no real concept of ownership or jealousy. But sometimes something happens and tempers flare. " Web frowned deeply. "Since i've taken my position I haven't seen any sent to the surface as punishment. I hope I never do."

flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One - Page 30 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

"That's horrible, I hope you never have that happen, too," said James. Kevali society was harsh. He remembered Matt giving the order for the other Web to die, and decided that maybe these Kevali were just as messed up in their own way as the mirror ones.

Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Web nodded. "Outcasting is hard enough, but at least I can believe they will live a life out here. "

"Why do they get outcast?" Luka asked curiously. She figured it had to be something less than murder.

"Usually political reasons, for being radical, dangerous, speaking against the elders or the established rules. It's harsh, but we have strict rules for a reason, for the good of everyone. If someone takes it into their head that they don't want to work any longer, that they don't want to pull their weight or they start to question why we remain, it's dangerous territory. The last thing we need is a rebellion, many innocent people would be caught in the middle. Few of these rebels are content to simply leave on their own, they wish to force their beliefs upon others and the seeds of dissent could be utterly catastrophic."

"you fear they'll take your power?"

Web shook his head. "no. I would step down if it's what the people desired. But I speak for the people as a whole, for the greater good of the entire community and peace is crucial. Every gear moving together, if these rebels managed to convince others to lay down their tools, to rise up against the Elders, our society would grind to a halt and the people would starve. My job is to keep the people safe and unfortunately, that means removing dangerous extremism before it can grow and infect the community. I can't say I enjoy it, but it's a necessary evil. " Web bowed his head. "And there are many times where I disagree with the Elders on what constitutes dangerous extremism. Unfortunately, they outnumber me. I can't win every argument and I have to pick my battles carefully. Our political system is complicated and frustrating, I don't have nearly as much power as you might think."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:14 pm

"That's gotta be hard, having to pick your battles about something like outcasting people. People ask questions and get lazy, that's just how it is, but I guess out there they just can't. Not when there's so much at stake." James frowned. He'd get outcast in an instant if he was a Kevali, no doubt about that.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm

"this is more than simply asking the wrong questions. My father's journals speak of a man during his time who spoke at such length and with such passion about leading the people to freedom, about the cruel shackles of the elders. He claimed they kept the people there under false pretenses, to serve their own needs, that we should do as the Kalvair, shape space and leave this place, trust in fate to guide us. Even my father agreed with him. of course my father was, much like Matt, a big supporter of freedom, whatever the cost. The Elders saw this man as a toxic influence, particularly on my father who really didn't need encouragement, and so he was banished. My father laments this in his journals, wishing he could have done more to save this man, feeling responsible for making him a target by making his support for him so obvious." Web shook his head. "since then the Elders have been paranoid, they still don't believe I am not my father. Matt very much embodied their worst fears and he held a position of influence over me. So of course, he had to go. " He looked pained. "I do wish he hadn't provoked them as much as he had, he could have simply left but that's Matt, he isn't content to just walk away, he has to be a martyr." He sighed.

"Do you not fear that's what you're making the outcasts?" Luka asked.

"Oh I don't worry about it, that's the Elder's problem." Web smiled wryly. "If the people as a whole chose to rise up, decided to leave, I wouldn't stop them. I simply know I cannot force them to do so. Something neither my father, nor my brother, nor many of the outcasts quite comprehend. You can preach all you like, but people fear the unknown and there are many who won't dare hope for better. It's sad, but that's the reality of it. Some day, maybe they will dare, maybe there will be a better way, a viable alternative that's more that simply stepping into the unknown. Until then, I have to do what I can to keep the people safe. To retain the status quo. To keep the peace. "
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:35 pm

James shook his head. Man, he sort of saw what Web meant, but it was so... depressing. Just living underground, maintaining the sameness, waiting for someone or something to change. "What a life," he said weakly.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Web smiled softly. "I have faith that things will get better. Perhaps not in my lifetime, but Fate has a plan. She always has a plan."

"that's worrying." Luka tried not to shudder.

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:08 pm

James nodded. "This is the sort of stuff I make Asher worry about. It's just too big and hopeless for us normal folk" He looked at Luka, wanting to change the subject, "You guys wanna hear my amazing new playlist? It's not too raunchy, I swear."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 pm

"playlist?" Web looked bewildered.

"not too raunchy? by your standards that means it's utter filth!" Luka teased.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:16 pm

"Playlist. A bunch of songs that play automatically one after another," James said, holding up his tablet helpfully. "It's all music that's appropriate for the Ishvara's ears, honest!"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Web laughed. "I don't know what would be considered inappropriate for my ears."

"stuff about rebellion." Luka nodded.

Web smiled.

"Don't worry, most of the songs he plays are about sex or money, or both." Luka nodded sagely. Oh yeah, she'd listened to his singing.

"Well there's nothing wrong with either of those things right?"

"You say that now... " Luka grinned. "play your music James!"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 pm

James snickered. "Don't forget the songs about booze and partying." He unplugged his headphones from the tablet and started his playlist. The first song was about spending your paycheck on booze. It sounded awesome, if you liked electronic dance music.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Web found somewhere to sit. He wasn't much used to music, it had been years since he'd actually heard any pop music, wasn't like he had access to a radio.

Luka looked amused. "can you dance?" She asked Web.

"Uh.. not very well." He admitted. "Matt was always the more graceful one."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:29 pm

James set the tablet down on a seat and moved his body to the music a bit. "It's cool, we're not great dancers either," he said. "But you can just listen if you prefer."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Web chuckled. "this is nice." He gestured around. "Electricity, music, comfortable seating."

"How the heck are you gonna want to leave?" Luka shook her head.

"I don't have any real choice." Web shrugged. "But perhaps i'll have to visit more often. If only to use up all your hot water." He laughed.

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:33 pm

James smiled. "I don't think any of us would mind you coming to visit and use up the hot water," he said. "You seem like a nice guy."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:53 am

Web smiled. "thank you."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 am

They sat and listened to James' music for a while. Luka danced with James, glad for the distraction and Web smiled. This was nice, wierd, but nice. He never thought he'd be sitting on a huge cruise ship with a Satare fleet pilot and an android dancing to terrible pop music.

"having fun?" Luka asked him, noticing his thoughtful expression.

Web smiled back. "Yes. I believe so." He chuckled.

Luka nodded. "good."

Web glanced out at the stars and his smile faltered, something shimmered in his vision and the pain started to creep across his skull.
He let out a small gasp, eyes widening. No, not now, not NOW.

He blinked a few times, pulling his glasses off to rub his eyes, mumbling to himself.

Luka stopped dancing. "Are you alright?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 am

James looked worried and went to turn off the music. "Web? You don't look so good."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:00 am

Web didn't seem to hear them, he gasped, sliding off his chair and onto his knees, dropping his glasses.

Luka looked worried. "Should we call a medic?"

Suddenly it was like some invisible force hit him, Web's head lulled back and his eyes wide, he stared blindly at the ceiling. His body went rigid, a thin trickle of blood ran from his nose and he let out a strangled cry of agony before falling completely, eerily silent.

And then as quickly as it had come on, it was over. He slumped forward onto his hands, shaking and gasping for breath.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 am

"Holy shit," James said, hurrying over to Web to try and steady him, reaching for his wrist to check his pulse. "Web, Web, can you hear me?" He looked pretty spooked.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:15 am

Luka looked panicked. "Is he okay? What just happened?"

Web groaned and leaned into James heavily and groaned. "it.. it's okay.. " He managed weakly. "Just.. just a vision." He sounded utterly drained. His heart was racing and he looked pretty out of it.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:23 am

"A vision?" James looked worried. He could probably have remembered the whole 'chosen by fate' thing a lot more easily if he hadn't just seen a guy collapse and have a nosebleed. That was throwing him off a bit."Vestia, get me some tissues. And a glass of water. And..." He considered, "Tell Dawn about this. And Esk."

"On it." Vestia sent one of her bots to find the requested items, and notified Esk about what had just happened. "But Dawn's in the city. I'll try to reach her." She texted Dawn's tablet.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 am

Esk had wandered off into the city as well, oops.

Luka didn't know what to do, she noticed Web's glasses and picked them up.

Web carefully sat up, blinking a few times and rubbing his temples. "Prophet.. remember.. " He tried to smile but he felt too crap. "I.. i'll be okay, just.. " He wiped his face on his sleeve, smearing blood across his cheek. Eugh.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

"I can't reach Esk," Vestia said. "Sorry."

"Oh yeah, the prophecy thing," James frowned and held onto Web to keep him steady. "Dang, that looks seriously sucky. We'll have some tissues for you in a moment, gotta be patient." Now he was calming down, he was starting to remember how gross blood was. Eeeew.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 am

"h.. here." Luka handed Web his glasses.

Web put the glasses back on. "Sorry." He managed a weak half laugh. "Fate has.... terrible timing."

"it could have been worse right?" Luka crouched down.

Web nodded.

"What, what actually just happened?" Luka asked. She wasn't really following this.

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 am

Dawn and Sawna made their way through the crowds and back to Vestia, quickly going to pause by the medical room before going to the observation deck they were on.

Dawn would want to check his blood pressure and heart rate first to make sure he was alright physically.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters
Names: Starr Nico

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next