Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

3 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One - Page 28 Empty Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Luka made a face. "gross. Computer, regular clothes please." She looked relieved as the gown disappeared and she was just in her usual cargo pants and vest. "Who should we go annoy then?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One - Page 28 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

Post by Kooshie Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 pm

Ellie smiled weakly to Sawna. "Thanks for the support."

(To the capital!)

Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One - Page 28 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Twenty-One

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 am

Esk wasn't going anywhere near that trial, it sounded like a powder keg just waiting to go off.
If the shit hit the fan, well, hopefully the crew could get back here in mostly one piece.
Eugh.

He didn't want to go, but at the same time he felt obligated to keep people safe. Damn them!

He waited till the others had left, took some painkillers, grabbed his sketch book and went into town. He'd stay near the portal, find a nice little cafe that was open and taking advantage of the crowded streets, and he'd watch and wait.

---

Meanwhile,

Amity took over the cafe while Sawna was away, if anyone wanted coffee they could get it.

The professor had considered going to watch this "circus" as he called it, but had opted instead to watch the live coverage in one of the rec rooms, while reading and scoffing derisively at a library book about astrology.

---

Luka went looking for James and any other members of the SD who were about. She was anxious. She didn't like Merith much, but then, she didn't know Merith much either. But everyone was so stressed, it was hard not to feel upset and worked up by it all.

Web was wandering the halls, trying to clear his head. All the anxiety people were projecting was a bit much.
He smiled weakly to Luka.
"You aren't going to the trial?"

Luka shook her head. "I don't know the guy, or fully understand his crimes." She was trying to stay detached. "I'd rather just... stay out of it. It's too messy."

Web nodded. "A wise idea I think. It sounds extraordinarily complicated and I don't envy the court having to make a decision."

"Have you seen James?"

Web shook his head.

"Vestia? Where's James?" Luka asked. "Want to come along? no offense but, you look like you could use the company."

Web chuckled. "None taken. You're right. I'm not entirely sure I want to be alone with all this tension in the air. "

"I don't even want to think about it." Luka sighed.

flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:19 am

Rigel had stayed on board, at the moment he was practicing some kind of martial arts on the holodeck, though he planned to watch the trial over one of the screens when it started
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters
Names: Starr Nico

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:19 am

Vestia told Luka and Web which observation deck James was in.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 am

Luka lead the way, Web trailing behind as she marched off.

"James?" Luka walked into the observation deck.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:30 am

James looked around from the window at Luka and Web, then smiled and pulled off his headphones. "Hey Luka. Hey Web. How you guys doing?"
He recognized Web by sight, although they hadn't talked yet.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 am

Luka shrugged. "Stressed. I just... wish this could be over and done with you know?"

Web bowed his head to James.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 am

"Oh yeah, I know the feeling," James agreed. He shook his head, "That man doesn't deserve the support of our friends in any way, shape, or form. It annoys the hell out of me that he's getting it anyway."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 am

Luka huffed. "Yeah.. "

Web smiled sadly. "they believe in second chances. Misguided or not, they stand up for one they consider an ally because they're good people. " He'd had things explained to him by his brothers, least in part. Matt had had a long rant in fact and eventually conceded that even he didn't think someone should die for crimes committed lifetimes ago. Life imprisonment was just fine.
"Do you think they'll succeed?"

Luka sighed. "I don't know, what can you say against the sort of crimes he's accused of? Oh he's okay now because we say so?"

"Don't Satare believe in rehabilitation?" Web asked.

Luka frowned. "Yeah.. but.. I dunno. " She really didn't know Merith well enough to make a decent judgement on how much he'd changed, but he'd always come across as a bit of a dick.
He seemed to irritate almost everyone but being annoying wasn't enough reason to want someone dead. She deflated a little.

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 am

"He's a worthless, selfish man who has declared himself to be a sociopath," James said, remembering what had been said on the ride back to this universe. "I really don't think he's changed." And to think, James had offered to sleep with the guy. And Merith hadn't outright refused even though he had a pregnant girlfriend! In hindsight James found that all very gross. He was glad he hadn't slept with Merith.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:16 am

Web nodded. "I know a great many sociopaths who have turned into productive members of society." He pointed out. "But I won't pretend to understand this particular man or begin to process his multitude of crimes. However, whatever your feelings on the matter, this isn't your trial. The Guild will make their judgement as they see fit and we need to respect their ways, even if we don't always agree with them."

Luka frowned. "they don't respect us." She muttered.

Web smiled sadly. "Unfortunately, the best you can do is rise above and be the better person. As my twin would say, fuck them." He chuckled weakly.

Luka snorted. "Are people in your position supposed to swear?"

Web shrugged. "My point is, your feelings are completely justified as are everyone else's, but the only people who can really punish or pardon him are the Guild. Justice will be done today, one way or another. "
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 am

James sighed. "Yeah, I guess it's up to them to decide what happens. And they hate him enough that maybe he'll get what he deserves. Ugh, I just hate seeing my friends support a guy like that."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 am

Web nodded. "Matt was conflicted, he only went because he vowed he would and he claimed that he wasn't about to go back on his word. He was better than that." He sighed. "I don't think any would have blamed him had he elected not to go, but he considered his integrity to be more important than his moral outrage. I can only really speak for my brothers, as I barely know the others, but they are deep down good people who desperately want to believe people can be redeemed. It may be an utterly foolish belief, but they both sincerely and utterly cling to it. They support him not because of who HE is, but because of who THEY are. " He shrugged.
"Kay doesn't believe this trial is at all about justice, it's about revenge and it's often difficult to differentiate the two. Do we punish criminals because they deserve it, or because it makes us feel better to hurt them back? "

"Why does it matter? If it's just, why can't it be both?" Luka protested.

Web nodded. "And you could well be right. Still, my foster brother arbors death and by his account, he owes his life to Merith. I don't think he could sleep easy if he didn't at least try to return the favor, even if he's well aware it's a fool's errand and that a man accused of such crimes doesn't deserve it." He paused. "Perhaps, they see in him something we have not, but you would have to ask them their reasons."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:38 am

"Asher said he was supporting him because he thought he had changed," James grumbled. "He always was a blind idealist though, it's like, his coping mechanism or something." He shook his head. "I dunno, man. Guess we get to see how this goes. Until then, wanna try and talk about something less crappy?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:38 am

Web nodded. "That sounds a fine idea."

"yeah." Luka grumbled.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:43 am

"Umm," James considered their options. "So uh, have you been watching any movies or anything while you've been here in civilization? Cause movies are danged awesome."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 am

Web shook his head. "I admit, I haven't really indulged in any mindless entertainment. I've been trying to learn all I can about this place, the family, why I might be here." Work work work.

Luka made a face. "You need to relax more."

Web chuckled softly. "I admit, it's nice to have hot running water and copious food. It's been a very long time since i've had access to either."

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:48 am

"You're missing out, man," James said, amused. "Then again, I miss out on the hot water and the food, so I guess we're even in terms of enjoyment of this place." He looked at Luka, "You get the best of both worlds, lucky you!"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 am

Luka laughed. "yay me?"

Web smiled. "I think i'll miss it when I leave."

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am

"Well maybe you'll be able to visit sometime. Do you have some sort of homing instinct that helps you find Matt? I assume you didn't just end up in the Guild by accident, or because you've visited before," James said.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am

Web actually laughed at that. "Sort of I suppose. Fate guides all who shape space around themselves, you think of where you wish to go and most of the time that's where you'll end up, unless she has other ideas. In this case, I thought of my brothers and I was brought to S.. Esk's bedside." Damnit he kept doing that. "I can only do it when they aren't moving though, Fate won't allow me to shape space onto a moving ship, the chance i'd miss and end up in the vacuum of space is too high. So any attempt simply doesn't work. I can't get a lock on people if they're moving at that sort of speed."

"So you could teleport to like.. anyone you'd ever met?" Luka asked.

"theoretically, if I so desired yes. So long as they were on a planet or a space station or something relatively large and not moving at great speed through space." Web shrugged. "I can't say i've ever really experimented with the limitations."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:19 am

"What happens if they are moving, do you just not teleport at all and stay right where you are, or do you end up somewhere else?" James asked curiously.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:22 am

"Usually nothing happens at all. I step backwards and... I remain where I was." Web explained.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:26 am

"What a weird power," James said. He was fascinated.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:33 am

Web nodded. "It is rather an unusual ability yes. Every time we do it we put our lives in fate's hands. The Kalvair have an origin legend that claims Fate guided them to their current home, they shaped space blindly and she took them where they needed to go. It's one of the few times she seems able to take an active role in our lives."

"What do you mean?" Luka asked, bewildered by all this. Gods, eugh.

"Fate is... not exactly a god. We're not sure what she is, but she doesn't seem to dwell in this plane of existence or be able to exert that much direct influence over it. It's possible that when we shape space, we're flitting into and through her domain, which is why she can guide us, but otherwise, she acts through intermediaries and subtle influences. She can put thoughts into the minds of the sleeping, she can send visions, but she cannot directly force those she speaks to to act on those instructions."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:44 am

"Wow," James said. "That most be strange to have some, uh, extradimensional being interacting with you guys. She goes in your dreams? Freaky."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Web shrugged. "You get used to it."

"So you don't get free will?" Luka asked.

Web thought about that. "She can't force anyone to do things, not even me. I prefer to think of it as guidance, rather than demands. "

"Good." Luka looked ruffled. "We had some people who claimed to be gods here, they seem to only cause trouble."

Web smiled softly. "their thinking is quite alien, they likely think we're trouble for not understanding."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next