Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Cop Bad Cop: Chapter Two

3 posters

Page 31 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

Good Cop Bad Cop: Chapter Two - Page 31 Empty Good Cop Bad Cop: Chapter Two

Post by Kooshie Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Ellie watched Shane suspiciously. Was he trying to teach her things again? Hmm.

Last edited by Kooshie on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Good Cop Bad Cop: Chapter Two - Page 31 Empty Re: Good Cop Bad Cop: Chapter Two

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Kay couldn't help but smile reading Asher's story, he may be a terrible bad cop, but he was damn good at keeping people safe. Well, most of the time.

Well, given they'd both technically lost, he figured he deserved Asher a “story” as well, but he also had no idea what to write. Most of his stories were pretty depressing.

Still, he set to work.

Dear Asher,

To reply to your list:

1:You may be awful at playing bad cop, but i'm no better at playing good cop. It astounds me how you can have such patience for such levels of idiocy, truly I admire that about you.

2: I'm not about to get jealous of a computer generated image of a man who's been dead for hundreds of years. Even if he is kinda cute.
I didn't write that.

3: I'm also terrible at this writing thing. Who's idea was this anyway?! Unfortunately most of my autobiographical stories end with someone getting hurt, i'm nowhere near as heroic and able to wrestle minotaurs i'm afraid.

But, struggling for anything better, I shall tell you the story of how Matt lost me in a game of poker.

Yes, this really did happen.
I know we make jokes about the stupid nonsense Matt gets involved in, but the majority of it is true. He did nearly get eaten by a mantis woman, he did decide acid spitting dragons were hot and he did indeed, wager ME in a game of poker.
You're probably wondering why I continue to travel with him right? I ask myself that a lot, but truth is, if I left him alone he'd be dead or worse by now.

So, here goes.

Shortly after we left the Empire I learned a couple of things about what my dear brother had been doing while I was working. After getting himself banished by the Kevali he'd decided to wander around Imperium space generally making a nuisance of himself in any way he could. He's rather good at this.
Thing is, no matter how often he got arrested, he'd just shape space out of there and run.
I dread to think how many warrants are out for his arrest at this point.

Anyway,

He also developed a bit of a gambling addiction. Specifically card games, which my brother is very, very bad at.
You may have noticed he's not exactly good at lying.
He enjoyed poker, but he was extraordinarily bad at it. But the other players enjoyed taking him for everything he had, about the only reason many of them would tolerate a half alien coward at the table. He always had something worth money.

On the whole it wasn't a problem, until I turned up and we left Imperium space and all his creditors and all those outstanding warrants behind.
Sadly for me, Matt did not stop playing poker.

Out beyond the frontier though, things were a lot less civil.

Matt fell in with entirely the worst sort of people, well, that's not entirely true, later we'd discover the people they owed money to were even worse, but that's a depressing story and one i'll tell you some other day.

Anyway,

Long story short, Matt got himself into debt, a lot of debt, debt he couldn't talk himself out of.
So he challenged his debtors to a final game of poker, if he won, they'd cancel his debts. If he lost? He had nothing to value to put up, so a little drunk and a whole lot desperate, he wagered ME.

He didn't tell me this until later than night, when he came bursting into the room we were renting and told me we had to run.
Yes, he'd lost. Of course he'd lost, I don't think he's ever won a game of poker in his life!

We of course fled, well, he fled, I followed him demanding to know what he'd done this time.
He finally came clean at around about the same point as some hired goons with guns turned up to collect what he owed.

And so I spent that evening actually in rather pleasant surroundings being chatted to by the matriarch of the local mob. A lovely if not slightly terrifying woman, she had a medical issue that needed looking at. As it turned out, my brother had not only rather oversold my abilities, she was also a little desperate as the local medics were too afraid of her and her goons to be honest with her. When he'd said he had a medic to wager, her boys had jumped at the chance. It was the only reason they'd accepted Matt's deal.

Thankfully I am very good at bluffing, and I did actually pay attention in medical school.

I won't divulge the issue, patient confidentiality and all, but let's just say she appreciated my lack of concern for her ego.

She let me go the following morning after a very pleasant breakfast.  

I found Matt in the local hospital, he'd tried to launch a rescue mission and gotten himself shot trespassing. Don't worry, it was only his shoulder and he did rather deserve it.

We left that afternoon. I got my own back by taking on all of Matt's medical care, no, I didn't have much sympathy.

So that is how Matt lost me in a game of poker and how I earned the favor of the Persico Crime Family.
It's also how I learned that one should never, ever, leave Matt on his own for an extended period of time and to definitely NOT let him play poker.

flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Asher decided to email a reply even though he could just as easily have gone to talk to the guy in person. After all, who didn't like getting emails?
Dear Kay,

1. You raise a valid point. We're both spectacularly awful at each other's jobs, because we developed very different ways to deal with idiocy. That is, I tolerate the idiots until they get bored of being dumb, and you scare them until they run away! At least we're both good at what we do!
2. If we both thought he was cute, we'd both have to be jealous because he's still charismatic enough to attract people seven centuries after his death. Thankfully neither of us think he's cute, so no jealousy is required here. Alternately we could have watched more movies of him and reveled in his cuteness together.
3. Totally not my idea to write stories, nope. I'm blaming you for this. (Why are you giving me that look? I'm innocent, I swear!)

Wow, that's quite the story. Matt really does have a knack for getting into terrible situations, doesn't he? At least you made a new friend, albeit a bit of a scary one.

Ethan's glaring at me. I think he's annoyed by the sound of me typing because it's distracting him from his book. I'm surprised he hasn't asked Vestia to make him librarian yet, he certainly has the perfect personality for the job!
Oh, he just shushed me. What a tyrant! I wasn't typing that loudly.

Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:49 am

Kay was extremely amused, sure he could go find Asher, but this was funnier.

Type louder just to spite him, what's he gonna do? Glare? Shush you louder? Chase you out brandishing a heavy encyclopedia? He should be grateful you're just typing loudly and not stealing all his stationary. (you fiend)

We definitely should not watch more movies together, alone, without idiots making snide remarks. Ahem.
I'm not considering how to set up a projector in my room at all.

He wandered toward wherever Asher might be though, just in case Ethan did decide to throw encylopedias. Not because he was worried about Asher, he could take a few heavy books to the head without getting damaged after all right? but those poor books!
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 am

Asher gave Ethan a friendly smile, and typed a reply to Kay.
I don't dare type louder. He's too scary! I didn't know my face was capable of looking that scornful. Also what was that about the stationary? I only take as much as I need, and I usually return it! The pens all came back, didn't they?

That sounds like a terrible idea. Me, you, alone with a movie? No way that could go well.

Ethan gave Asher a long suffering look from where he was sitting on his bean bag chair of choice in the library.

Asher lapsed into quiet laughter.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 am

He must be utterly terrifying, don't worry, i'll save you. You're right, the two of us alone watching explosions and shirtless men sounds like the worst thing ever.
Kay smirked to himself and didn't hasten his pace.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 am

Shirtless men! Nobody wants to watch those. I don't like men, do you? :)

You're going to save me? Well that's a relief. Ethan's scary.

Ethan sighed and looked at Asher resignedly. "What in the world are you doing?"

Asher shrugged innocently.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 am

Oh men are just awful right? Especially shirtless ones.
Now Kay was laughing soundlessly, taking a moment to compose himself so he could finish writing a response.
I'm sure he's absolutely terrifying. Be there soon.

Somehow he didn't really believe that. Ethan may be a jerk, but he didn't seem overly interested in doing much more than just glaring and making snide remarks. Of course, maybe Kay just trusted him stupidly because he looked and sounded just like Asher. Even after the mirror universe, even knowing what Asher himself was capable of... and of course Ethan also reminded him of Esk, who was also a jerk but not actually malevolent. It was hard to be overly intimidated by someone who reminded you so much of two people you loved regardless.

He reached the library or wherever the heck Vestia had told him Asher was.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:46 am

Asher was just writing
They're the worst. I don't know why people make movies with them.
When Kay came in. Asher waved in greeting, looking amused. "Oh hello!"

Ethan flinched momentarily at the sight of Kay, then shrugged. Nothing to worry about here, right? "Are you being weird too?" He asked Kay.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:27 am

Kay waved to Asher and smiled oddly at Ethan. [Weird in what way?] he wrote.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 am

"Quietly laughing as you type busily and not saying why," Ethan said.

"Well what was I supposed to say? I'm just using the library computer, that's allowed," Asher said sensibly.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am

[I can only laugh quietly i'm afraid.] Kay wrote, looking amused. [Don't worry, i'm only here to rescue you from Asher's terribly loud typing. I have his tablet so he's stuck using the communal computers.] He glanced to Asher. Yeah, they should really get him a replacement... again.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 am

"Hey, I thought you were here to rescue me from him!" Asher protested.

Ethan snorted. "I wasn't doing anything."

"You glared at me," Asher pointed out.

"You typed loudly and laughed," Ethan retorted.

"See what I mean? He's a tyrant!" Asher told Kay.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 am

Kay looked amused. [Already acting just like brothers then.] He smiled to Ethan. [Congratulations, you're officially part of the family. And already a better bad cop than him.] He smirked at Asher. Yeah this was a bit weird, nice wierd, but weird. Good thing he was used to twins huh?
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Asher looked mournful. "Of course, Starr and Armin are probably better bad cops than me, so that isn't setting the bar very high." He smiled slightly at Ethan. Yes, they were brothers now. Ethan was a good guy in his weird way, probably.

Ethan smiled oddly. This was what family was like, apparently. It wasn't so bad. "Great. I always wanted an identical twin who was less scary than me."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Kay looked amused. [Apparently it's very useful. Or so Matt claims.] then again, he was pretty sure Matt was the scary twin. Hmm.
He shook his head, yeah, depressing thoughts. [Don't worry Asher, when the rest of us have lost all patience, you'll still be calm. We might need that some day.]
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Asher smiled. "Then you'll all get mad at me and punch me for being insufferable, which will only make things worse. Broken hands don't make situations better."

Ethan snickered and got up to try and read Asher's computer screen.

Asher hastily exited the browser.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Kay nodded [Only those dumb enough to think it's worth punching an android.] He smirked. [Only a few of them are that dumb.]
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 pm

"It happens weirdly often," Asher said. "Which is funny, you'd think they'd learn."

Ethan snorted. "My fifth owner did it twice. He was a moron. My nose only hurt for a few minutes, but we had to take him to the hospital for his hand."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 pm

Kay smiled softly at Ethan. [That sounds rather satisfying. ] He shook his head at Asher [They never do. If people learned from their idiocy they wouldn't get hurt nearly so often. And yet, we have people like Matt.]
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Ethan smirked. "There's nothing more satisfying than politely suggesting to your moron owner that if he tried thinking for a change, he wouldn't end up in situations like this so much. He couldn't even beat me for my insolence because his hand was broken." Ethan had some odd happy memories.

Asher looked sort of amused. "It's very unfortunate for them and us, but idiots will be idiots i suppose."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Kay nodded. [Definitely satisfying and definitely worth it. ] Yes, he'd take delight in breaking the hand of anybody who tried to claim ownership of him. It would be very... very satisfying. [Indeed, idiots will be idiots and they never grow out of it.] Kay nodded to Asher. [Still, at least WE get paid for dealing with the end result of their stupidity. ]
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Asher looked pleased. "You can tolerate a lot when you get a paycheck out of it," he agreed.

Ethan snorted. "Or just avoid them like I do. That works too."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:54 pm

[You are SO much like my younger brother.] Kay told Ethan. [Which either means you'll get on great, or you'll absolutely hate one another.] He shook his head, amused.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:58 pm

"Which brother?" Ethan said. "I hope you mean Esk, not Matt."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Kay nodded [Yes, Esk is the younger one. Matt is, would you believe it, actually a year older than I am. He still acts like he's twelve. ] He rolled his eyes.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Ethan snickered. "Seriously?" He thought back, trying to remember if he'd ever learned Mattias's age in the mirror universe. Nope, he really couldn't remember that. Stellan's age, he knew. But that was all. Stupid mirror universe and their lame record-keeping. "Esk seems okay. I don't mind being like him," he said, still amused.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Kay smiled softly and nodded. [I know. He's technically the awkward middle child, but only by a few minutes. I'm not entire sure how many minutes older Web actually IS. ] He shrugged. [Esk is... a damaged and difficult person but i'm fairly certain he means well ultimately. Just don't tell him I told you that, he'll go out of his way to try to convince me otherwise. ]
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 34 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next