Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twelve

4 posters

Page 34 of 39 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next

Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twelve - Page 34 Empty Upon Vestia: Chapter Twelve

Post by Kooshie Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

"Yep, all alone on a desert planet with a weird bird." Ellie scowled, "False gods. So gross. I hope all immortals die soon." She paused, "Umm, well, I hope the immortals I like stick around for a while longer though."

Last edited by Kooshie on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Twelve - Page 34 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Twelve

Post by Quinn The Fox Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 pm

John had gotten over his illness by then, the man volunteering to help paint the ship. He passed by Sonata putting masks on each child, explaining that they could watch the paint and wander within sight of the ship, and Lilian would be there to make sure they obeyed those rules and didn't do anything dangerous as each kid had their back legs flared out, Rey in particular bouncing excitedly while Cassi sat on a nearby chair between Kaleb and Jay, swinging her legs to and fro as they all waited to go. The two dark-haired older Terran glimpsed at each other before looking away quickly after both realized neither one of them could produce words.

Saraphine trembled involuntarily as she had an exceedingly tiny mask made from Merith's own creation ("Consider Keepers like, demi-Creators.") She peeked out from between the shadow-black vulpine legs of Quinn, who looked down at the tiny woman, "What's the matter? I thought you liked exploring."

"The matter? The matter?!" Saraphine squeaked, before stepping out in front of the fox and opening her hands wide, staring out the window. "Look at this! I've seen big, but the things on this planet are huge! How do you think that makes me feel?!" She stared back at Quinn, who seemed to hesitate before busting out in laughter at the thought, the two continuing to gaze in awe at the place.

Vanessa and Merith had also volunteered to help, the two of them stepping towards the ramp to join the gathering crowd. Vanessa watched Merith boredly as he gazed out the windows nearest to the ramp. Suddenly, his face seem to split open and bones popped and muscle twisted as he morphed, endo-skeleton replacing itself with an outer shell. Two arms developed into four, each hand, and even foot, becoming a four clawed appendage with opposable digits. Over his mouth became a mantis-like mouth as tube-like organs braided themselves around his chest and mouth, a pair of tarsus protruding from his back. The black-boned bug-like creature stared around, one eye a vivid yellow green and the other a scarred milky white. Vanessa scoffed, "Now that's an old form. How long have those been extinct?"

"About three magaannus." Merith clapped his top hands together with a loud clicking noise. "Too bad, too, they were quite inquisitive. A bit of a hive mind, as well."

"What is it with insect species and their hive minds?" Vanessa muttered, but soon joined Merith in a similar form.

Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Berit and Trygve greeted Starr happily when she arrived, as soon as the ramp was open they'd both pull their masks off, clipping them to their belts and taking deep breaths.

Berit grinned broadly. "Home sweet home!" She declared.

"Our mothers will be expecting us." Trygve told her.

"They can wait. Our gracious hosts must first be paid."

Trygve bowed his head. "Of course." He looked to Starr. "We will assist you in this task."

The pair smiled broadly to everyone as they came down the ramp.

"Welcome!" Trygve declared loudly "To Vavaren!" He spread both arms wide.

--

Swarm bobbed up and down eagerly. --we-- --would-- --like-- --that--

[You can do that?] Kay asked.

--

Mourn nodded. "Yes, test. " He handed one to Asher to test, fiddling with the other. "No like masks."

Matt watched Mourn for a moment, then seemed to catch up and realize what he was on about. "I do know a little galactic sign you know... "

Mourn tilted his head. "You do?"

Matt nodded. "Yeah, of course Kay can't actually sign properly. " He held up his hand and wriggled his fingers. "Missing a digit, makes it a bit awkward but its close. Might work."

Mourn frowned. "Maybe. We see. If not, robots translate."

Matt laughed. "yeah, it can be your job for once Asher." Ahh he remembered well the first few days they'd been on Vestia and Kay hadn't been totally confident enough to write much, so Matt had ended up having to translate everything he telepathically projected to those he didn't want to barge into the brains of. Good times.

---

flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:15 pm

"Yeah! It's a really useful trick for lots of occasions," James said. He smiled at Swarm, "I'll try and see cool things for you."

~~
"I'm sure I'll be an excellent translator," Asher said with a grin. He began looking over the masks, making sure they were safe.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:23 pm

Kay nodded. [Actually, I can see certain advantages to being able to simply play back memories. Though i'm sure there's certain things you'd sooner keep to yourself. Or are you much like my own brother Matt in regards to secrecy? ] He looked amused.

Swarm buzzed around James affectionately, it was as close to a hug as they could manage. --thank-- --you--

---

"You'll be awesome." Matt patted Asher's shoulder encouragingly. "Just don't make crap up, they get really pissy when you make crap up and don't translate right." He snickered.

Once the masks were indeed confirmed to be safe, Matt and Mourn would don theirs and head outside.

Matt was naturally DELIGHTED to see the Vavare without their masks and especially interested to learn they could and indeed DID actually smile. Awesome.
He kinda.. stared at the THING that was Merith and edged away from it. He assumed it was one of the shape changers, he just wasn't sure which one and yeah....

Mourn would set to work setting up all the safety equipment they needed to stop them falling to their deaths while they crawled around the massive bulk of the ship.

Matt set to work undisappearing all the painting equipment and putting it where it needed to be. And then got bossed around by Mourn who had decided his ability to teleport made him the ideal person to fasten ropes and suchforth.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:38 pm

James laughed. "It's one thing to tell people stuff, and another thing to play it back. I'm not a big fan of keeping secrets, but there's a ton of stuff I talk about, that I'd never show anyone." He smiled at Swarm, "Any time, guys. You know I'm here for ya."

~~
Asher nodded gravely. "I'll keep that in mind. No embellishing the translations, for fear of wrathful people. Got it."
He had considered wearing a mask and a jacket to blend in with the others of course, but nah, it wasn't worth it. He needed Mourn to be able to lipread him, and if he wasn't wearing a mask, then no way would a jacket make him look more human.
He looked at the giant insect thing. Who would go for such a memorable appearance? "Merith?" he asked.

~~
Tala flicked her ears, spotting Shane. She had put on a breathing mask, and looked slightly weirder than usual in it. "Hello, dragon-friend!" she said.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Starr smiled and looked to Merith before shifting her form to an ice dragon. She was small in this form, though mormally she would be bigger. She was working on changing the size of her forms and this form could handle the air and cold of this planet.

~~~
Shane looked around, using the mask he had been given. He smiled at Skye as the hawk joined them, ready to help paint the ship.

~~
Dawn and Rigel came out to help with the painting.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters
Names: Starr Nico

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:48 pm

"Yo." Merith made a casual-looking two-clawed salute to Asher as his name was called, his voice oddly humming rather than speaking normally as the bug eyes caught there attention on the android.
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Asher laughed. "Nice form. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it," he said.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 pm

"You wouldn't." Merith hummed, shaking his head. "Their kin had died before homo sapiens even began to breed with neanderthals. Still, before they perished I had grown quite fond of them, look--"

There was another clicking noise as the shell on his back opened to reveal large, dragonfly-like iridescent wings. Suddenly they began to vibrate swiftly, creating twittering whistles that were quite pleasant to the ear.

"Their planet was small, and was very mountainous with great rock structures like swiss cheese from the winds, and like this planet the atmosphere was also very high in oxygen content. Had their homeworld not been swallowed up by a red giant, I like to think they would have become very culturally unique."

Vanessa tilted her head slightly, "Ah yes, the ones who believed music was the voices of spirits."

Merith nodded, "Yes, that one. Ares and I had been assigned to study its late stone age. He enjoyed it very much."
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Asher admired the insects--Merith's--wings. The noise they made was unusual, but he decided it was nice. "They didn't achieve space travel before their planet was destroyed?" he asked.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:25 pm

Merith the Bug Man shook his head and hummed a negative again. "Mm-mm. They were just past the bronze age and going into the iron age when their sun was reaching its last legs. They did not have the technology to escape the red giant."
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:43 pm

"That's unfortunate. I'm sure such a species would have been able to contribute a lot to the universe." Asher smiled weakly, "At least they're remembered." He frowned at the name Merith had mentioned earlier, "Ares?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:50 pm

"A very good friend of mine. When I wasn't volunteered to go with Heny on a mission -- At the time I was the only one willing to pair with her -- my number one partner in crime and history logging was Ares. You should have seen how jealous he was when I got assigned to the French Renaissance. He loves travelling the galaxy, testing his strength and trying new experiences." Merith's face lit up with a smile at the fond memories... Before it faltered, and he suddenly fell into something more gray and melancholic, "At least... He used to. I believe he chose his path with the Family now..."

Merith seemed to regret thinking about his friends turned enemies. Ares was no doubt just one of many.
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Asher winced. He had thought the name Ares was distinctly Family-ish, and it was sad to hear his suspicions confirmed. "I'm sorry," he said softly, "I can imagine how hard that must be."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Merith shrugged, and forced a smile. "There's no musing over it now. The lines have been drawn... But, let's not let my sour memories ruin this day, right?" He forced his voice into a bubbly spin, as usual. "Today's a day of cold air and a wide view to enjoy with hard, good old fashioned work."

He forced whatever bad feelings behind that bubbly, carefree persona he always wore.
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:24 pm

Asher half-smiled at Merith's false cheerfulness. He'd done the same thing enough times himself, and the best thing to do was to go along with it. "You're going to be painting too? If those wings can lift you, that could be very useful indeed," he said, forcing lightness into his voice.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Merith chuckled, "Yeah, Vanessa -- and by default, then, Quinn -- and I will be helping out. Besides, if we have time, a bit of flying would be nice to experience..."
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:07 pm

"Sounds good. I'm sure that having more flying people to help will be very useful," Asher said. Curiously he asked, "How much weight can you lift?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:28 am

Luka wrapped up warm and got her mask. Armin caught up with her.

"You must be excited to be home." She remarked.

Armin nodded. "I have not stepped upon my homeworld's surface in a very long time, it is going to be... strange." He sounded uncertain.

"You think you've been away too long?"

"I am not certain. Life marches ever on, all that I knew before we left will have changed. It is simultaneously joyous and sad, exciting and terrifying. I feel conflicted. " He admitted.

"You'll be fine." Luka told him, looking at him. She was admittedly curious as to what lay under that mask. She imagined the worst. All teeth and horror.

Armin nodded. "My thanks friend, I appreciate your optimism." He pulled his mask off as they descended the ramp, clipping it to his belt like his sister and cousin had.

"You're pretty... " Luka was stunned by how humanoid the spider's features actually were.

Armin laughed. "Many thanks friend." He bowed his head. He took a deep breath and closed his many eyes. "I have missed this air." He spoke softly, looking overly emotional as he approached the others.

Berit nodded her head at her brother, smiling reassuringly.

---

Kay nodded. [I have every faith in your discretion.]

--your-- --reputation-- --precedes-- --you-- --james-- Swarm told him.

Kay shook his head, clearly amused. [More he reminds me of my own brother. No real secrets of his own, but exceptionally good at keeping the secrets of others.]

--Secrets-- --bah--

Kay looked at swarm amused. [I don't suppose knowledge eaters would like secrecy no.]

--some-- --knowledge-- --is-- --not-- --to-- --be-- --shared--

[Except with you?] Kay tilted his head at the swarm

--yes-- the swarm bobbed. --we-- --see-- --everything--

[Well that's ominous.]
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:02 am

--to vavaren--
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:25 am

Merith smiled oddly at Asher, "How much is needed to lift?"
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:52 am

James smirked. "I try. I stink at secrets in general though. Nah, memory playback is just more personal than talking. Telling people things lets you conserve details. You can't do that when they're literally looking through your eyes."
"That's why I'm only offering Swarm my memories of this planet, and not anything else," he said cheerfully. "Even though Swarm knows everything about me for the past couple weeks."

~~
Asher looked amused. "A person? Vestia's hull is kind of a daunting climb."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:06 am

Kay nodded. [Much the same reason I don't go reading people's minds then. Privacy is important, even if it isn't always easy to maintain.] He knew he could do it, he'd done it with the spider kids after all so they didn't HAVE to speak, and it was still especially unsettling not just because of the memories themselves, but because of how intrusive the act itself was.

--humanoid-- --races-- --are-- --so-- --secretive--

[I suppose privacy must be utterly impossible when you're a hive.]

Swarm bobbed up and down. --we-- --have-- --no-- --need-- --or-- --desire-- --for-- --it--

[Just try to remember that others do.] Kay told them

--will-- --you-- --threaten-- --to-- --swat-- --us?--

[Of course not! You're a living sapient and sentient being. beings. ]

--good.-- --then-- --we-- --will-- --respect-- --your-- --privacy--

Well it was nice to know all you had to do was ask.
Kay bowed his head. [thank you]

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:19 am

"Way too many people threaten to swat Swarm," James told Kay, "I'm glad you're not one of them." He looked at Swarm, "Oh hey, you guys saw that time with the Captain, right?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:25 am

Swarm bobbed up and down. --quite-- --educational--

Kay decided he did NOT want to know what happened with the captain.
[James, are you alright?] He worried of course, particularly after what Asher had told him last week.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Quinn The Fox Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 am

"Easy. I don't even have to use my own physical strength for it." The shifted Keeper shrugged. "Vanessa and Quinn could help too... Though I don't recommend Quinn... She's still a bit of a novice..."
Quinn The Fox
Quinn The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:32 am

James snorted. "Glad to help. And he never figured out you were watching the whole time?"
He gave Kay a reassuring look, "Oh don't you worry, it was a one-time thing, and I told him the rules super clearly. Avians are really cool without their clothes, okay?"

~~
Asher nodded. "Excellent. I'm sure Matt won't be wanting to teleport people around all day, so you guys can help him out, maybe?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 39 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next