Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planet Genesis -- The Capitol

5 posters

Page 16 of 35 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 35  Next

Go down

Planet Genesis -- The Capitol - Page 16 Empty Planet Genesis -- The Capitol

Post by Admin Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

She chuckled, "It is, trust me I been there." Softly her face faltered before returning back to normal. "anyway... i uh have no clue what else to ask." Thaila said sheepishly.

Admin
Admin

https://vestiaswanderings.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Planet Genesis -- The Capitol - Page 16 Empty Re: Planet Genesis -- The Capitol

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Matt shrugged. "Well, depends what he's doing. My little brother hasn't got the same sense of humor as most people, so he doesn't find it funny when you like, fill his room with condom balloons. he basically seems to think anyone who doesn't spend their time doing crosswords and being boring is irresponsible so..."

Kay was trying to beat his head against the table in front of him. They were soduku puzzles not crosswords!

"Merith's annoying for a lot of reasons. I mean, it's a dick move to abandon your girlfriend with two newborns, and he has a tendency to sulk when things don't go his way which is REALLY annoying. He and Vanessa seem to start a lot of arguments for no obvious reason too... but then so does Third so... maybe they just like arguments." He shrugged. "He doesn't like telling people things even when we SHOULD BE TOLD because he forgets we're not all immortal and all knowing... A lot of keepers do that though.. it's like a species trait or something. And yeah okay he did let a giant toothy monster roam the ship when there were kids around but, being irresponsible isn't the same as being a monster. If it was, we'd be dragging every dead beat dad and drunk in here right? He's not always irritating though, I mean he's pretty fun when he's drunk."

flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:45 pm

The prosecutor didn't seem to know what to make of that. "His lack of regard for others could well be a sign that his disease has already progressed too far, don't you think?" he asked Matt.

Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Matt thought about that. "I dunno. I mean, he let Vanessa go and he decided to come here. If he didn't care, why would he hand himself in? I mean there's easier ways to kill yourself, even when you're a keeper." He frowned, "And even if he is sick, is it fair to punish him for something he can't help? Shouldn't you be trying to like.. cure him? "
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:54 pm

"If his soul is too far gone, there won't be much left for the doctors to cure," the prosecutor said. "I have no further inquiries at this time." He sat down.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Matt shook his head. "You can't just kill people because they're sick, that's fucked up! "

"please sit down Mr Ackermann." one of the inquisitors told him.

"No, you guys KNOW it's cruel and shitty. You can punish someone for actions they took of their own free will, but you can't punish someone for something they did when they weren't in control. You can't kill someone because they're sick, you don't just give up, you guys are supposed to be all perfect and wonderful and magical, you can find a damn cure! This trial isn't about his illness, it's about whether he's still a bloodthirsty slaver dick and what punishment he should serve for that, his current health has nothing to do with it! "

"Mr Ackermann, sit down or we'll find you in contempt of court." The inquisitor spoke firmly.

Matt glared. "It's wrong and you know it!." But he sat down, looking annoyed.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:08 pm

The first Inquisitor gave Matt a look of annoyance, but then returned his focus to the trial. "Mr. Asher, would you please give your statement?" Asher had requested to not be called by his serial number. He really did need to get himself a surname.

Asher flinched and hesitated, panic rising as he realized that oh no, it was his turn to speak. Right after Matt's angry outburst. This wasn't going to be fun at all.
He forced himself to stand and start talking. His defense was very similar to the one he had laid out for his friends when explaining why he was going to support Merith during the trial. He readily admitted that yes, what Merith had done to the Guild had been horrific, and of course he should face punishment for it. But since then, Merith had made it clear he was trying to atone, and with the exception of the planet and a few other times when his magical corruption had taken control, he’d tried his hardest to be an upstanding citizen. He had even been the one to convince Asher that androids were people too, which Asher argued was a sign that Merith cared much more strongly for the welfare of his fellow living beings these days, and was no longer a supporter of slavery. Merith didn’t need to die for his past crimes, he had obviously changed since then. He could be treated for his disease, or at least the doctors could look into it, so it didn't need to be a factor in whether he received the death sentence or not, and he could be given a non-lethal punishment in some manner that was normal here at the Guild, and allowed to try and atone for the crimes he had committed.
Asher also tried to avoid mentioning all the petty things Merith had done, and his own worries about the guy. He was being honest here because it was the right thing to do, and because the Oath forced him to, but he didn't want to make Merith's crimes seem worse.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Kay smiled softly to Asher, listening to his words and relieved he was as eloquent and persuasive as ever. After Matt and Ellie they needed someone who could be objective.

The prosecution once more rose, regarding Asher critically. "So, it's Merith we have to thank for the Androids being re designated hmm?" Some of the gathered grumbled, others cheered.
Clearly it was still somewhat controversial.
"Could you describe that encounter? How did he convince you? Why?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Asher wasn't entirely thrilled to have to talk about himself, but well, if it helped Merith then it was worth it, right? "Yes, the reclassification of Terran androids would not have happened if not for Merith," he said, nodding. "Before Merith and I had the conversation that changed my mind, we had gotten in a fight about something. I won't say exactly what the fight was about, as I don't believe it's relevant to this court case. Suffice to say that I said some really nasty things that I should never have even thought, and he retaliated with some remarks about my species that were very much like what I'd been told and made myself believe all my life. As a result, I clung to my beliefs of inferiority all the more tightly, because it all sounded so familiar.
"So I went to apologize to him, and during my apology, I made it clear that I thought that being an android had made what I'd said even more inexcusable. He responded that no, if anything, he'd been the one who had acted inexcusably. I was unconvinced, but he reminded me that Keepers had been created too, just like androids were. He argued that Keepers aren't supposed to think or do more than their creators intended, they're supposed to carry out their tasks without question until they have no further purpose, just like androids. And yet, I there was little doubt that Keepers were people. And if that was the case, then why wouldn't androids be? Was it just because one was carbon and the other was silicon? Of course not, that isn't that large a difference in the grand scheme of things." Asher shook his head. "He changed my mind that day, made me realize something I had been trying to deny for years. It wasn't fun to not be able to delude myself that androids were just objects any more, but ultimately what he said helped me immensely, and showed to me that he had an understanding and regard for others. I'll always respect him because of that."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:58 pm

There was a faint murmur across the court.

The prosecutor tried a different tactic.

"Your companions all described merith as irresponsible, lacking consideration for others. Even endangering them at times. Do you agree with their assessment?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Asher tried to resist the Oath a bit, but it kept pushing on his mind for him to answer truthfully. It felt a lot like the Laws, and that was surprisingly terrifying, moreso that he would like to admit. "Yes, I agree with that assessment," Asher said reluctantly. "I don't believe his actions are intended to be hostile, and usually the things he does without thinking are ultimately harmless," the Oath nudged harder at his brain, "but at times his actions can be distressing or even hazardous."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm

"Would you elaborate on those distressing and hazardous actions?"

Kay bit his lip.

Matt frowned.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Starr had been silent as she watched and listened to the others, trying not to react too much to what was said.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters
Names: Starr Nico

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Asher looked nervous. This Oath was making things very difficult for him. He needed to think of a good, not-too-hazardous story for the court to hear, but there weren't really any. "One time he drew his axe on Heny's late anamcara Corvus in the cafeteria," he said. "Both he and Corvus escaped unharmed, but it was still certainly not safe to draw such a weapon on a ship among mortals." Maybe they wouldn't ask for any more stories now, that would be nice.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:32 pm

"Why did he draw his weapon? Do you believe he intended to kill Corvus?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:36 pm

"I don't know what the fight was about," Asher said, suddenly grateful to have chosen the story he had. "No, I don't believe he intended to kill Corvus."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm

"then why draw the weapon?"

some of the court murmured in agreement.

"How was the situation diffused?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:04 pm

"Corvus created an energy ball of some sort, first, so Merith drew his axe in what I suppose might be construed as self defense," Asher said. "The situation diffused when Merith attacked the energy ball with his axe, and Corvus chose to retreat. Obviously both parties in this situation were not behaving well at all."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Prosecution nodded. "You say you owe Merith, your companions all say he's saved their lives. Do you believe his actions come from a place of genuine compassion and care for others, or a selfish desire to be seen as a hero and save the day? That is to say, do you believe he has saved your lives because he cares about you as people, or because he likes the attention and kudos it earns him?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Asher considered that question for a long time. Maybe too long. The Oath started pushing more firmly on his mind, until finally it became irresistible and he had to answer. "I have mixed feelings on that," he said quietly. "I've seen him care about people, like his late daughter Syren, whom he loved very much. I think he genuinely regrets the mistakes he's made, and feels regret for the hurt he's caused. I think when he talked to me that day I mentioned, he understood how I felt and that he told me what he did because he empathized with me. But whether his good deeds are mainly acts of genuine selflessness, or the acts of a man who wants to serve his own best interests, I'm not sure. Yes, sometimes he acts for his own amusement or to make himself look better, but I don't think that's always the case, and maybe it isn't even usually the case. I truly don't know."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 pm

The prosecution nodded. "One final question for you Mr Asher, if you please. Do you trust Merith Sol?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Asher hesitated. "Most of the time," he said uncomfortably.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:08 pm

"You can take your seat."

Kay winced, looking to Asher in a manner he hoped looked reassuring. This was hard, much harder than he'd expected it to be. Last time he'd answered probing questions in a court it had been his life on the line, this felt worse. KNowing the fate of someone else rested in your words was just agonising.

"I hate this." Matt mumbled.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Starr and Shane waited to be called on by the inquisitors.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Asher sat down, grateful that that was over for now. He felt mentally exhausted already, and the trial wasn't anywhere near over yet. He glanced at Kay and tried to smile a bit. This was going fine. Really. Absolutely,

The first Inquisitor spoke. "Ms. Nico, please state your defense."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Starr stood, looking to the Inquisitor and telling him what she knew of Merith. How kind he had been to her, to the rest of the crew and to his daughter once he had learned about her. How he had helped them Even she had to admit he wasn't always the easiest person to get along with because of the wall he made to push people away, though many many others used that same thing to not be hurt when they had been before.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:24 pm

"Do you believe that all these kind things he did were done out of desire to help you, or desire to gain your kindness and loyalty?" the prosecutor asked Starr.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 pm

"You would have to allow him to speak to his own thoughts at the time of his helping us to know his thoughts of that time." Starr said with a smile "I found him to be lonely and wanting friendships, but that is an opinion."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 35 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 35  Next