Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Eight

3 posters

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32

Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Eight - Page 32 Empty Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Eight

Post by Starrnico Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Shane nodded agreement. "Let them sort themselves out, when they are ready, if they ever are, they can admit it publicly as Starr and Armin have done with their dating.

~~~
Danika chuckled softly and shrugged "It's just part of the game, most of the situations are made up things to give a reason for adding money to your bank." She waited for him to put the amount in then picked up the dice to roll them, using the chance to show him how they were normally rolled without saying so. She landed on the starship (train) and immediately bought it

Last edited by Starrnico on Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters
Names: Starr Nico

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Eight - Page 32 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Eight

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:52 pm

Kasi nodded. "Then I am most fortunate to be given such space. Are all the rooms so spacious?" He was walking with no real direction in mind, just following the corridor. "It seems almost a pity I will not stay long." He smiled to Tala. "I'm grateful for your hospitality."

flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Eight - Page 32 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Eight

Post by Kooshie Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:23 pm

The bean plant coiled closer to Shane. "I think it likes you," Ellie said. "Sometimes I think they're starting to understand us better, the plants. Not just me, but everyone on board."

~~
"The rooms vary in size. Our ship sees fit to plan for the needs of many guests," Tala said. "She is a very hospitable ship, and we are fortunate to be her passengers," she agreed.

Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:38 am

"You think the plants are becoming sentient?" Shane asked in awe. Was she making them aware and not just controlling them?
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:20 pm

Kasi nodded again but before he could ask any more questions they were interupted.

"Hey Tala." Matt was coming along the hall the other way.

Kasi broke into a grin. "Kanistha! I had hoped to see you."

Matt paused, tilting his head. "oh wait.. I remember you!" He too grinned, happy to actually remember WHO this person was. "The uh... the elective outcast right?"

Kasi nodded. "I am honored that you remember me."

Matt shrugged "hey you don't forget something like that." He shook his head, he could not however remember the guy's name. He glanced to Tala, hoping she might help out there.
"So... what brings you all the way out here? Weren't you last hanging out with the Anamcara?"

"that was a long time ago now." Kasi admitted. "After the battle things changed, the sense of security was shattered for many. I decided there was more to see beyond their borders and so I left." As usual, that probably wasn't the full story but it was as much as he was willing to divulge.

"That... seems fair." Matt conceded. "so uh.. where you two headed?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:44 am

"I think so. It isn't all the plants, but I've noticed it with these bean plants that I spend a lot of time with," Ellie told Shane, petting one of the bean plants with a fingertip. "Not exactly the way animals are, but... this plant for example, I think it kind of wants to help us, the way it wants sunlight and water. It's not like the Aketi, thank goodness" --her thankfully rare experiences with sensing Professor Hewitt's thoughts were something she didn't like-- "but it's not like the plants I haven't spent so much time around, either."

~~
Tala huffed out a breath; she hadn't particularly liked what she had seen of how the Guild was managed, although she supposed they had listened well enough when she had confronted them directly about Esk's realizations about the Family's plan of attack. She also had more personal grievances with the place for not keeping better track of their guilt butterflies, as she still felt the effects of her encounter with one sometimes.

Doubt wasn't an emotion Tala had felt often, and she didn't like it at all.

"I am going where he goes, for the moment," she told Matt. With newfound approval for Kasi she added, "You are sensible to have continued your travels, the Guild has questionable housing for their dangerous creatures."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:45 pm

"That's cool" Shane replied as he looked to the bean vine again, gently caressing it again. "In some ways not having enough sentience can be better for them, they won't hurt if we did have to use them."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:14 pm

Matt nodded, he knew Tala was a touch protective, even a little paranoid. Still, it made her a good security officer and he appreciated that.
He shrugged and dropped into step alongside her. "You scared the crap out of us" He told Kasi matter-of-factly. "We didn't know if you were hostile or not."

Kasi tilted his head, then looked away a little hurriedly. "I apologize. My ship failed on me, I am told it will take time to obtain the necessary part."

"It's okay." Matt shook his head, then grinned. "You're NOT here to hurt us right?" Judging by his expression he was probably joking.

Kasi however didn't seem to understand that. He shook his head hurriedly. "no no, I would never wish harm upon others." He sounded distressed.

Matt's expression softened. "hey, sorry man, I was just joking. I believe you okay? We're good."

Kasi took a breath and nodded curtly. "t... thank you." He seemed suddenly far more anxious, fiddling with his bracelets as they walked.

"so..." Matt struggled to pivot to a new topic, glancing to Tala for support. "has... Tala given you a tour?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:37 pm

"True," Ellie said, nodding at Shane's words. "That could get really complicated really quickly." She patched the bean plant as it coiled around Shane's fingers. "So long as it's only these guys, I guess we're okay. Better than most house pets, no chewing on furniture. Yet, at least." She grinned.

~~
Tala scented the air, then shook her head. Matt's question seemed perfectly ordinary to her, not one that should cause distress, but she also knew most people were less pragmatic in their emotions than she was, and became upset about silly things. "I have not given any tours," Tala declared, "I am merely accompanying Kasi."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:30 pm

Shane laughed at the thought of the beans eating the furniture. That would be a twist. He checked anyway, letting his shields down enough to sense anything at all from the plants in this room. It was a weird thought, but they had all seen many weird things in a relatively short time frame.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:34 pm

"Well..." Matt considered things. "are you hungry? We could grab a bite to eat, show you the main communal areas?" He shrugged. The ship was far too large for a full tour, that would take days.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:09 pm

The other plants seemed for the most part to be, perhaps thankfully, ordinary plants. Ellie's enhanced bean plants, and the beans and blackberry seeds she kept in her pockets for emergencies, had an odd sort of energy about them. There really were many strange things on this ship.

Ellie would handle chores around Hydroponics a while longer, possibly enlisting Shane's help. It probably wouldn't take too long, there wasn't that much to do, so they might soon be free to go somewhere else.

~~
"You speak words of wisdom, Matt," Tala said grandly. "Meat eaters often do not understand the importance of regular meals." Although being someone whose species normally ate grass, her idea of regular meals was possibly a lot more frequent than what Matt or Kasi might consider it to be.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:43 pm

Shane helped out where he could, wondering about the odd plants but unable to figure out anything besides their proximity to Ellie. He would go wherever she wanted to when they were done.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:20 pm

Matt chuckled at Tala's proclamation "hey, regular meals are a luxury for a lot of people. It'd be ungrateful not to appreciate them right?" He shrugged.

Kasi looked initially uncertain but nodded agreeably.

"Excellent." Matt lead the way. "so, where were you headed?" He asked conversationally, barely glancing back as he spoke.

"I was meeting people." Kasi replied vaguely. "That shall have to wait now."

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:07 pm

"There are often people to meet while eating food on this ship," Tala told Kasi. "You may find yourself gifted the opportunity to meet people and consume food simultaneously!"

~~
Ellie and Shane might go to get some lunch, and therefore encounter Kasi, Matt, and Tala.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:20 pm

Kasi smiled politely to Tala. "you do not have scheduled meal times?" He asked curiously.

Matt shrugged. "Not really. I mean, kinda but yeah... not really." He grinned when he saw Ellie and Shane "Hey guys! Everything's fine! We met this guy back at the guild" He gestured toward Kasi.

Kasi raised one hand in a sort of half wave. He seemed a bit preoccupied. Then again, he had just been stranded and needed rescuing so maybe it was just that.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:47 pm

"Hey Matt, Tala and hello again Kasi." Shane said with a smile. He was much more relaxed this time.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:07 pm

"Greetings, both of you," Tala proclaimed, ears twitching forward with interest.

Ellie wasn't entirely sure about random people who just happened to know the crew popping up conveniently nearby, but since so far things were going okay, she decided she might as well be polite. "Hey all of you. Hey Kasi. Welcome to the ship!"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 pm

Kasi bowed his head gracefully but it was pretty clear he was a bit unsure about all these people.
Matt frowned a little, remembering how overly outgoing the guy had been last they'd met. What had happened in the past decade to change that? Well, arguably a lot could have happened. The universe was pretty cruel as Vestia's own crew knew too well. Still...

"So...." He tried to make smalltalk. "Where were you headed when your ship failed?"

"to meet with some other outcasts." Kasi shook his head. "I hope they will forgive my tardiness." He looked at his food rather than at Matt as he spoke.

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:46 pm

"We could try to send a message to them." Shane offered. He knew Vestia could monitor what was said if Kasi went with that plan, even if through another station once they were close enough.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:06 pm

Kasi nodded. "I appreciate that. Already you are doing so much for me. Offering me board, repairing my ship. I am most grateful for your kindness." He sounded sincere enough, though he didn't make eye contact as he spoke.

Matt nodded. "yeah, I mean, maybe we can drop you off if it's not too far even?" Was that overstepping? probably.

Kasi tilted his head. "I do not wish to impose more than I already have. The meeting can wait."

Matt looked curious. "a meeting of outcasts? That's pretty cool you found each other."

"We have been actively searching." Kasi replied softly.

"wait... really? we? Who's we?" Matt asked.

Kasi took a bite of his food, chewing and swallowing before he answered. "Other outcasts. Most of them Kevali, most of them former Scribes."

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:03 pm

"Are there many outcasts from your homeworld, then?" Tala said with interest. "I had thought it must be uncommon for them to leave."

Ellie frowned; she'd always kind of gotten the same impression.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:55 pm

Kasi shook his head. "not many. Perhaps.. twenty?" He looked like he was counting in his head. "Many have been outcasts for decades. Back when the Elders ruled unopposed there was more discontent. Or so I am told."

Matt frowned. "I thought you had to do something pretty bad to be outcast...."

Kasi tilted his head at Matt. "were you not outcast yourself?"

Matt nodded. "yeah.. okay.. good point." He looked thoughtful. "still, does it even happen that often?" He didn't like to think of his brother as being okay with that sort of thing. Then again, apparently he allowed his own SON to be outcast so maybe he was.... no, he had to have a good reason. Matt knew his brother, he wasn't an evil overlord or something.

"Not as often as I would hope." Kasi admitted.

Matt stared at him "wait.. what?"

"I left, I hoped others would follow of their own accord. They did not." Kasi's eyes narrowed. "They are too afraid."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:15 pm

Shane listened to the conversation curiously though he stayed quiet. He ate his snack, thinking about being outcast from society again now that he knew what he was. It wasn't a pleasant thought.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:08 am

Matt glanced around the table and shook his head. "well I mean, can you blame them?"

Kasi frowned. "They are told the worlds beyond are full of horrors, that to leave is worse than death. We both know that is a lie."

"I mean, they must know... Web leaves all the time and comes back fine." Matt protested.

"He is the Ishvara, he is the chosen of a supposed god. She would not allow harm to come of her vessel." Kasi's eyes shone with fervor. He was more animated than ever. "When Vaali lead the people underground they were told one day they would return to the surface. But for that to happen, the people must be lead once more."

"But where would they go?" Matt asked.

Kasi smiled. "There is a place. The land is fertile, there is plentiful water, there is even an ocean. The people could make a new home. It would take work of course, to set up a colony but it is quite possible. The people struggle every day, Kevali and Kalvair alike. With one last push they could have a better life for their children."

"You've found somewhere? A planet?"

"A moon. I have not been there, not yet. But there are others already laying the foundations to make it a home."

"Would they be safe?" Matt asked cautiously.

"Safer than they are now."

"So... you should tell Web! He could..."

Kasi interupted before he could finish that sentence. "The Ishvara is a puppet, he will never consent. Fate will not allow him to do so."

Matt frowned. "What do you mean? Why wouldn't she want the people safe?"

"She has had centuries to do so, she has done nothing. Either because she cannot, or because she does not wish to. Even my people were not saved by her. We are told as children that Fate saved us, in her great compassion she led us to a new world and salvation but this is another lie. The Kalvair do not live in salvation or comfort, they struggle every day. Water is scarce until the floods come, then what little crops and livestock could be saved during the droughts drown. We survive not because of Fate or the other gods, we survive because of our own ingenuity. WE figured out irrigation and dams, WE learned how to protect our lands with flood barriers. WE tamed the wildlife and tended the crops.
We made a hostile world our home because we had little choice. We told ourselves it was salvation, but really it was little better than the prison of stone and darkness the Kevali built themselves. Fate did not guide us, she did not save us. The Kalvair defied Fate by leaving, by seeking an alternative to her decree. They were blessed not by Fate, but by their own free will. They have forgotten what they once were. The Kalvair were rebels, now they toil in the dust and thank the gods for the privilege. "

Matt blinked. He didn't know what to say to that.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:38 pm

"Is this moon the place to whence you now travel?" Tala asked. Warily she added, "If it is, is it not overly close to the Imperium?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:09 pm

Shane listened to Kasi talk and smiled a little not because it was funny but because he could easily see how that would be possible. "You really should talk to Web, you might be surprised at what could happen in the future. Just remember when one believes in a god, really believes, then you have to work with that belief or you will fail in whatever you try. Even if it is for the good of everyone. That takes time, sometimes generations. Then again maybe Fate wants the change and is using people like you." He said and stood to take his dishes. "Gods seem to love being mysterious no matter where they are, especially if they are not gods but just super powerful people." He shrugged, philosophy was not something he studied a lot and he wasn't certain there were any real gods. After all his people would be considered gods by some with the powers they had.
He was quiet a moment and frowned before speaking again. "Breaking a trust of belief in a god either breaks the person or forces that belief to something else. Either way it causes problems, that is what people like Web have to think about before changing things in any way. Not only what is right or good but how it will effect individuals and the whole people physically, mentally and spiritually. If you want your people to move you have to work with him to convince them that their god wants them to move, to have better, easier lives. It's manipulative, but probably the best way for the majority of people. Like saying something along the lines of it wasn't safe to move till now, so fate had to send the outcasts out to help make a place for everyone a few at a time. That would make it so the outcasts could rejoin the people if they wanted to or open your society up to others being able to leave if they want to." He ended with another shrug
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:23 pm

Kasi shook his head at Tala's question. "no, not yet. I was going to meet some other engineers to discuss some plans." He frowned a little as Shane spoke.

"We cannot trust Fate. The Ishvara is her vessel, she sees what he sees, hears what he hears. While the Elders consumed their vessel's mortal selves, Fate was crueler. She let hers have an illusion of free will. She will not allow him to act against her."

"How do you know this isn't what she wants though?" Matt asked, nodding at Shane who had also made that point.

"Is it a risk worth taking? She has had centuries to make a change. That she has not speaks volumes. I have spoken to former scribes, some worked under the previous Ishvara. HE desired what we want, or so I am told. But he never got a chance to enact his plan. Had Fate wanted the people free, she had a chance then and didn't take it." Kasi reasoned.

Matt frowned.
He wasn't sure how to feel about all this. The more he was told about his father, the more of a stranger he felt to him.
"Perhaps it wasn't the right time?"

Kasi's eyes blazed. "When WILL it be the right time? The people have waited for centuries. Why should they wait any longer to be saved by a supposed god who likely doesn't even care? It's time for the people to save themselves. No more waiting for gods to intervene. They will be waiting forever that way."

Matt nodded. He had to agree there, he wasn't a great fan of supposed gods either. "But what's your plan then?"

Kasi leaned forward "That is where you come in. The people will follow the Ishvara... or at least, they will follow one they BELIEVE to be the Ishvara."

Matt hesitated. "wait... are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?"

"Why not? You and he are identical. All you would need is longer hair and a change of clothing. You wouldn't need to keep the facade up for long, just long enough to convince the people to follow you. Of course, the Elders would need to be distracted so they couldn't meddle... and the Ishvara would need to be waylaid.... "

Matt interrupted "Distracted? Waylaid? I don't like where this is headed. "

Kasi looked aghast. "nobody would be harmed!"

"You would have me betray my brother! I won't do that. I trust his judgement."

"How many years has he had to do something? How many more will go by before you see that he has no intention of changing the status quo? " Kasi's expression softened. "I understand, you love your brother, you have... fraternal loyalty to him. But the people need to be free. In the grand scheme of things, it's a small sacrifice to make for the greater good."

Matt shook his head. "you know, i'm really starting to hate this greater good...." He muttered.

"as your friend said" Kasi gestured to Shane. "The people need someone to convince the people that this is the god's will. The people will not surrender their faith easily, that will take time. But breaking their shackles is the first step. "

Matt shook his head again. "Talk to Web, please. Just... try. Maybe you'll see eye to eye, maybe he'll actually work with you. "

Kasi sighed. "The outcasts will never trust Fate, nor her agents. She is one of the tyrants we seek to liberate the people from"

"I'm sorry..." Matt finished lamely. He couldn't do what Kasi wanted, he couldn't betray Web's trust and arrogantly meddle in something he didn't fully understand. If Web hadn't lead the people elsewhere already then he had a good reason, Matt was certain of that. The idea that Fate was clouding his judgement was unsettling, but it didn't sit well with him or what he thought he knew of his brother. Fate was a guide, not a master. Not a very good guide of course, rather cruel in her methods, but... she wasn't a tyrant was she? Web wasn't her unwilling puppet. He couldn't believe that. He wouldn't. But he worried what Kasi's group had planned.
"Listen, you guys aren't going to do anything rash are you?"

Kasi shook his head. "It's my intention that nobody is hurt. As for rash action, my companions are nothing if not organised."

Matt didn't look overly reassured by that.

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32