Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upon Silver Devil: Chapter Four

3 posters

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next

Go down

Upon Silver Devil: Chapter Four - Page 11 Empty Upon Silver Devil: Chapter Four

Post by Starrnico Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dawn would be alright, she just got bored laying there alone and without a project to do.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters
Names: Starr Nico

Back to top Go down

Upon Silver Devil: Chapter Four - Page 11 Empty Re: Upon Silver Devil: Chapter Four

Post by Kooshie Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Moriah realized she might be in risky territory with this conversation topic, judging by Luka's reaction. "I was just guessing, based on all the book covers. I guess... not having many alien neighbors in real life makes sense though." Yeah, she'd heard a bit about the wars, although she hadn't learned all the details. She shook her head. "You guys don't have many stories with Satare villains in them?"

Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Upon Silver Devil: Chapter Four - Page 11 Empty Re: Upon Silver Devil: Chapter Four

Post by Starrnico Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Kooshie wrote:Asher nodded. "Let's play another round then." He restarted the chess app so they could play again.
"Sometimes I wish I knew what it was like to have powers like you guys have," he said thoughtfully. "There's so much about other species that we just can't fully understand, because we simply have no frame of reference for it. When I had a sense of touch for a while, it gave me some idea of how organics must experience the world, but there's so much beyond that. Magic, telepathy, smell, taste." He shook his head, his mind boggled at how overwhelming being organic must be, how could they possibly cope with such a complex array of information at once? "And of course for organic beings, I'm sure it's hard to imagine too. Kay mentioned once when he turned into a minotaur how overpowering all the smells were, there must be all sorts of differing experiences like that."
"I guess each species grows up used to what they can see, feel, and do, but when they can immerse themselves in a different way, then they can better put themselves in another species 'shoes' so to speak" Dawn said and smiled again.

Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Asher nodded. "Maybe if everyone tried harder to understand their differences, the universe would be a more friendly place. But sometimes it's so hard to know how to start."

He moved a rook.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:40 am

Luka shrugged. "not usually in the books I read. " they were simple trashy paperbacks after all. "They're pretty forumulaic."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:24 am

Dawn nodded, moving a pawn out. "It is hard to leave your comfort zone, but sometimes it can be very rewarding. There is just so much out there to learn about, so many people."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:42 am

"Oh, I see. " Moriah smiled. "I've seen the collection of Satare books in the library. I can't read them, but the covers are fun."

~~
"Very true." Asher captured one of Dawn's bishops. "I guess we must have a unique perspective though, most people spend most of their lives with one or two species like themselves, we live on a ship that's practically a zoo."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Luka tilted her head. "don't you have photographic memories?" She asked. "Couldn't you just... learn languages faster than nor.. re... organic people?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Moriah winced a little at Luka's stumbling, but looked grateful when the other woman settled on 'organic people'. Definitely less offensive than the other descriptors.
"Learning a language is tricky even if you have a photographic memory," she said. "Learning the words is doable, but understanding the grammar takes more time. I probably could, I just haven't been curious enough about those books to try yet." She smiled slightly.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Luka nodded. "It IS confusing." She wasn't speaking her native tongue after all, and it wasn't easy at all.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:24 pm

"How long did it take you to learn common?" Moriah asked. "It must be very different from Satare."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Kooshie wrote:"Very true." Asher captured one of Dawn's bishops. "I guess we must have a unique perspective though, most people spend most of their lives with one or two species like themselves, we live on a ship that's practically a zoo."
Dawn took a minute to pick her next move since he took her piece. "True, we do have quite the variety on both our ships."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:49 pm

"The space station where I used to work was something like ninety percent Terran," Asher said. "Moving to Vestia was quite the experience." He watched Dawn pick her move, then moved a pawn.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:03 pm

Luka frowned, she couldn't really remember. "A.. while. I think. I spent a lot of time lost and wandering around without anyone understanding me. "
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:51 pm

"That sounds awful," Moriah said, with sympathy. "How did you manage? It must be really hard to travel if you can't speak the language."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:55 pm

"it's even harder if you're a race everyone seems to hate." Luka hugged herself, looking bitter. She didn't like remembering those early days, grieving her co pilot, trying to get home and having so few willing to help. "I just... had to get on with it. Picked up words here and there, finally.. found someone willing to speak to me, help me. But I couldn't stay." She sighed. "But then I ended up here." She looked out at the view. "I like it here." She sounded a touch sad though.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Moriah nodded. "It's not fair, having people distrust you for what you are, when you've done nothing wrong. I mean, my species doesn't have it as bad as yours does, the Satare just have... such negative press coverage out here. But I sort of understand what it must have been like for you."
She smiled softly. "But hey, who knows. Maybe someday people out here won't fear the Satare any more. Enemy empires can't stay enemies forever, right?" Maybe it wasn't a realistic thing to hope for, but it was a nice idea.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Luka smiled grimly. "I don't know. There's a lot to fear out here. Sometimes I think my people weren't so wrong in becoming so... cut off. " She kept looking out at the stars. She missed home terribly. Much as she loved the people she worked with there was always a part of her that didn't quite feel like it belonged. "They don't fear us." She spoke softly. "they just... hate us."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Moriah followed Luka's gaze, looking out the window. "I guess the Imperium does have a reputation that people out here would hate," she said. "I mean, everyone's heard about the minotaurs by now, I'm pretty sure. That war with them has been going on a long time."
She glanced at Luka again, "But the Satare people are just people. I guess that's easier to forget if you just see the news headlines."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Kooshie wrote:"The space station where I used to work was something like ninety percent Terran," Asher said. "Moving to Vestia was quite the experience." He watched Dawn pick her move, then moved a pawn.
Dawn nodded then shook her head a little "That's quite a change, Terrans can be some of the best people, and some of the worst. Some manage to do both at the same time." She made a move and looked to him
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:37 pm

"There really are all sorts of Terrans," Asher agreed. He considered the board for a few seconds before making his move, then smiled softly. "I'm sure the same goes for any species though. I don't know a whole lot about Pandorans, and the two of you I've met were very kind, but I'm sure some Pandorans must be cruel. And androids, well, the First Law may make us pacifists, but without that, who knows."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 am

Luka nodded. "there are good people back home, many good good people." She sighed. It was complicated and it was painful to be torn between your national pride and devotion to your people and the knowledge that the propaganda wasn't entirely true. She'd met some awful aliens sure, but also some very kind ones. People she trusted with her life. It was confusing
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 am

Dawn frowned a little and nodded. "Just like Terrans in that regard, some good, some bad, though we learn to hide our emotions early." She said before making her move and taking a pawn.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue May 01, 2018 10:17 am

"Our next stop after this is the Imperium, isn't it? You must be excited about that," Moriah said.

~~
"Seems risky to focus on hiding emotions," Asher said. "I've heard it's bad to bottle them up without an outlet." Of course, he'd done that many times himself, hiding his grief and pain under a mask of positivity. Which worked great, until it didn't.
He took a move, threatening Dawn's king. "Check."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 am

"i'm... nervous." Luka admitted. "I don't know what to expect. I've been gone so long, what do they think happened to me? Will I be accepted back?" She looked pained. "I dearly want to see my family, but what if they think i'm dead? What if they don't like the life i've chosen out here?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 am

Moriah frowned. "Family is family, right? If they think you're dead, they'll be happy when you prove them wrong, and they'll be proud of you for surviving. There must be some way to contact people in the Imperium, right? Some way to tell them you're safe?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

Luka shrugged. "it's not so easy, the blockaides mean a lot of things have to go through an exchange and they might not even believe me. I don't.. want to endanger anyone here." and honestly she'd never tried because she was scared of the reaction, and not sure really what to tell her father. It was a conversation she would rather have face to face.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Tue May 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Kooshie wrote:
"Seems risky to focus on hiding emotions," Asher said. "I've heard it's bad to bottle them up without an outlet." Of course, he'd done that many times himself, hiding his grief and pain under a mask of positivity. Which worked great, until it didn't.
He took a move, threatening Dawn's king. "Check."
Dawn shrugged and moved her king out of the way. "We have an outlet, our magic. We are taught to have only moderate emotions and to put the rest into our magic so that we use our magic and not harm ourselves or others."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next