Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Two

3 posters

Page 20 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next

Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Two - Page 20 Empty Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Two

Post by Kooshie Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

James went into Armin's room. "Hey man, watcha working on?" he asked, seeing that Armin was sewing.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Two - Page 20 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Two

Post by Kooshie Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:19 pm

"Yes, capricorns. You know about them, then?" Ethan asked. He frowned at Esk's expression. "I didn't mention your plans to the others, but I figured you might want to know." He shrugged.

Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Two - Page 20 Empty Re: Upon Vestia: Chapter Thirty-Two

Post by Starrnico Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Starr chuckled and nodded at that "Our species grows faster, so there's less time to be angry and loud." That wasn't the real reason, but it sounded funny.

~~
"Yeah, I figured that would be easier and less creepy. A lot of people are scared of spiders or anything similar to spiders." Rigel said with a smile.

Starrnico

Characters
Names: Starr Nico

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm

"I would think the teenage years would be unpleasant though, as they last so long among star dragons," Tala said, ears twitching. "They are most excellent children, but I fear what the future holds."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Starr chuckled then shrugged "Roughly 200 years is a long time to be counted as a child, but then again it does give you a long time to learn and grow up."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:29 pm

"That is true. Perhaps most of the years will be good then," Tala said. She liked that thought. "We shall hope so." She looked to Armin, "Do your species have frustrating teenage years? Mine most certainly does."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Esk nodded. "The Imperium are at war with Hakon, which means not just the minotaurs. The Capricorns are not so useful as combatants of course, they use them as pilots or something, but knowing the great Empire, that won't stop them cleansing the whole damn planet. " He spoke with a great deal of contempt toward his empire for an ex soldier.
"We're months from Hakon, if anyone's even still alive out there. " He shook his head. "And maybe we could do with another therapist. This place is shit crazy, you see that right? I mean these people are fucking nuts and with all the ex slaves, ex slaves who can create suns and destroy planets? Maybe we'll need all the help we can get." He liked to be useful but he didn't have enough of an ego to need to be the only one being so. So long as he still had a purpose here, he'd be comfortable. The ongoing mental state of this ship's crew could probably, realistically, keep several dozen therapists in work for decades.
He looked at Ethan thoughtfully. "Why do you care about my job prospects anyway?" He thought it was a bit odd, but then, Ethan was a strange guy wasn't he? Was he just trying to be nice?
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Armin bowed his head. "Teenage years? Not.. so much. Once we are old enough we make ourselves useful, we start to learn trades, the elders would say it.. keeps us out of trouble." He chuckled. "But.. our childhood is so fleeting by your species standards, a blink of an eye to a Star Dragon." two hundred years was more than he could even fathom. "we grow fast."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:39 pm

"You raise a good point," Ethan said. "There are a hell of a lot of unstable people here, all different types of them. Having multiple options would be good. He frowned at the question, "Do I have to have a reason? I just thought I should tell you."
The truth was that Ethan sort of liked Esk. The guy had stood up to Merith and Shock for him in the mirrorverse, and since then they'd had various conversations that had always been not-awful. But he wasn't going to admit to thinking of the guy as a friend, he wasn't comfortable saying something like that to someone who was just as guarded and messed up as he was.

~~
Tala nodded. "It is interesting how every species is different. It makes it difficult to take notes on the rearing of children. You kind must grow very fast then," she added.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Armin nodded. "We are considered full adults by twelve, but that is.. conservative at best. Biologically, adulthood can hit at any point after the age of eight, but tradition maintains that twelve is legal maturity." He shook his head, it was all a bit silly to him. "I cannot imagine remaining so young for so long."

---

Esk stared at Ethan, he wasn't used to people being nice to him, it still bewildered him. His intuition insisted it was Ethan being nice because he considered him worth being decent to, but his ego, or rather, lack thereof demanded that was wrong and of course that wasn't the reason, he was just being stupid and weird.

He nodded though, unwilling to delve too much into that uncomfortable truth. "thank you?" He wasn't sure he should say thank you, but it seemed... polite. Given how much shit he gave Kay for not saying thanks, he kinda tried to do so when it was appropriate. He didn't look overly happy to do so however.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:50 pm

"That is a very rapid growth," Tala said. "Your kind have many young at once, do you not?" She didn't know a lot about vavare, but she remembered Berit at least. Who could forget Berit?

~~
Ethan frowned, he was about as unsure about being thanked, as Esk was about thanking him. "No problem," he said, because you were supposed to say something when someone thanked you.
Yep, this was awkward.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Armin nodded. This was a topic his species weren't so keen to talk about. "yes, we have .. litters. I am one of three. Berit, myself and our sister. " He conveniently didn't mention the half dozen others who didn't make it.

---

Super awkward. Esk continued to stare at him. "anything else?" He hesitated. "How is Starr?" Hey, might as well get another person's perspective.

---

Luka nodded. "good idea. You're very good at this." She was impressed by Rigel's ingenuity.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Rigel smiled and dipped his head at that "Thank you. I like tinkering with some ideas."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Tala thankfully didn't know about the more ugly aspect of Vavare reproduction, she wasn't easily fazed but that probably would have been a little uncomfortable even to her. "Having multiple offspring seems hectic," she said. She knew Starr could have had more hatchlings but had chosen not to, she didn't know how that worked but it seemed like something that wasn't anyone else's business.

~~
Ethan frowned at Esk's question, and took a moment to answer. "I didn't stay long, but she seemed... well enough. The dragons seemed to think so too." He shrugged, "I mean, I'm not much good at telling what people are thinking though. You're not planning to visit her, then?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:29 am

Esk shook his head. Starr made him uncomfortable anyway, she was just too... nice, but under that there was something unsettling. Both aspects made Esk wary. "She's not my friend." He spoke flatly. He wasn't about to admit that he didn't trust himself not to think what he had become so good at outwardly repressing. He was excellent at hiding his emotions, but so good at masking his thoughts completely. "But the Star Dragons are... dangerously powerful. Last thing we need is one of them having a breakdown." Sensible as always, it was a good excuse anyway.

----

Armin bowed his head. "The first litter is often the most difficult yes, many females only take a second mate after their first birthing, but extended family helps. " Vavare lived very communally after all, with everyone basically bunking together. "The males take up most of the childcare." It seemed fair in his mind after all, the female carried the offspring, brought them into the world, the male should do his part too.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 am

Starr was listening to the conversation curiously but silently. It was informative in a way, though she had heard much of it before.
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:29 am

Ethan nodded. "Fair enough," he said. "I doubt they'll be having any breakdowns, they have each other for emotional support. And they just don't seem inclined to abuse their powers the way people like Merith did." He shrugged, "You could go and visit though, you don't need to be her friend for that. And the kid is cute, if you're the sort of person who likes kids." Which he doubted Esk was, but you know.

~~
"That makes sense," Tala said, amused. "It only seems fair to the females for birthing the litter." She shook her head, "I suppose I should not speak so much, Luna needs her rest."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:01 am

Armin nodded. "Yes, and with multiple males to take on the responsibility, it is only logical I think." He bowed his head. "I hope we are not disturbing her rest." He looked to Starr.

----

Esk shook his head. "It feels a little too much like a circus or something. Going to look at a child like they're some sort of novelty." He looked disdainful. "Children and I don't mix well. " they tended to be kinda grabby and too young to understand they shouldn't go anywhere near him. Adults understood danger far better than children did apparently. Plus if he did lose control, he could so easily kill a child. The idea didn't sit well with him. He'd prefer not to spend the rest of his life in the brig with that kind of guilt.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:25 am

"Fair enough," Ethan said. "Not everyone wants to admire new babies, I know I don't." He'd really only gone to see Starr, she was what he cared about. "We'll see how things go for them, I guess."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:41 am

Esk nodded. "yeah." He glanced toward the windows. "Still... there's only so much group therapy can help." He frowned at his own shadowy reflection in the glass and looked back to Ethan. "It'll be months before we hit Imperium space, and getting across it to Hakon is going to be... interesting." Imperium space was huge, going around would take forever but might be the safer option.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Ethan finally decided to sit down, he'd just been standing awkwardly until then. He nodded. "I mean, they're not all going to snap at once I don't think. They're connected, but they're not exactly a hive mind the way Inari's foxes were or something." He shrugged. "And... people are damn resilient. If they have something to live for, they can keep themselves going to a long time. I think they can make it the Haakon at least, although they may not enjoy it much."
He'd worked for one of the scariest psychopaths he'd ever heard of, and he'd seen for himself how long people could last in situations that should have quickly crushed them.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Esk nodded. "Even so... all it takes is one of them losing it." He looked grim. "and at some point that kid is gonna start asking who her father really is. I doubt the truth will be particularly pallettable. " he looked thoughtful. "Wonder how they'll handle that. Sorry kid, your daddy is some anonymous sperm and a test tube." What a crass way to put it. "Wonder how easy it is to lie to a telepath." He should know the answer to that but honestly he'd never actually tried to lie much to Kay and Kay tended to stay outta your head anyway.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrnico Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm

"She is sleeping well." Starr said, looking down at Luna and smiling then looking back to Armin and Tala. "This young there isn't much that can keep them awake."
Starrnico
Starrnico

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:02 pm

"I like to believe that the others would sense them snapping and hold them back," Ethan said, "I don't have any data to back that claim, but it's a reassuring idea." He frowned, "Do kids really care that much who their dad is? Other than what genetics they end up with, it isn't all that important, is it?" Hey, Ethan had never had a dad. He didn't know.

~~
Tala snorted softly. "It is good that she can rest so well. She can leave it to the adults to be alert as she rests."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Esk shrugged. "Depends who your father is I suppose. Some people are happier never knowing. I know I would have been." His eyes narrowed slightly. "The psychology books talk about the issues from not having a father figure and shit like that, you know... wanting to know where you came from or whatever. Maybe she'll never ask, or maybe she'll sense that everyone's got something they're hiding and get curious. Kids ask awkward questions." He shook his head. "I'm always preparing for any crisis, better to be prepared and not need it." He really did have a tendency to always plan for the worst didn't he?
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Ethan nodded. "I guess that makes sense. Some people do put a big emphasis on their ancestry, seems like." He frowned, "The kid isn't going to be that powerful for a long time though, I don't think that her freaking out about her ancestry is going to be a crisis."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Esk laughed darkly. Yeah, that wasn't his concern, but whatever. He wasn't about to correct Ethan. "yeah... " He thought of Kay, who he knew was hiding something about Starr and her kid, he just didn't quite know what. Hmm... it troubled him a little.
"I suppose things are all a bit simpler when you were just put together in a factory. No real family, no blood ties and all the obligation that comes with it. " He made a face. "it's fucking annoying having family."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:15 pm

"Makes things simple, not having any family to worry about," Ethan agreed. "Just you, and whatever job you've been given. James says family's a good thing, he says it means you have a support network when things go to shit. Then again, he doesn't have any biological parents either." He shrugged, "Seems like you could walk away if you wanted. If James can choose to have a family, you can choose to ditch yours, right?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next