Vestia's Wanderings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vavaren

4 posters

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Vavaren - Page 6 Empty Vavaren

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Vavaren - Page 6 Carboniferous_1

Vavaren is a richly forested planet with large bodies of water. It's cold, not cold enough for snow but cold enough for frost to form overnight. The oxygen levels are high.

There are no mammals, only lizards, insects, arachnids and some birds. Everything is huge.
Their oceans are populated by giant squids, immense fish and various other enormous and terrifying creatures of the deep.

The Vavare have built large webbed communes in the trees.

Visitors are not common, Vavare tend to do most of their business off world but those who visit are welcomed warmly.

Ships will dock at a small simple space port which is surrounded by their capital "city", if you can call it that.
It looks more like a vast marketplace.

Visitors are advised to wear rebreathers when leaving their ship, dress warm and to avoid any flames, sparks or static buildup.

Enjoy your stay honored friends, welcome to Vavaren.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters
Names: Matt, Kay, Mourn, Swarm, Luka, Esk, Armin, Amity, Hewitt, Ivor, Silence

Back to top Go down

Vavaren - Page 6 Empty Re: Vavaren

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:35 am

"Well that's hopeless optimism." Esk told Sonata. "The dragon woman said you're taking on the Family." He shrugged. "You'll probably all die, you realise that right? Well, if you're lucky they'll just murder everyone." He shook his head.

---

Armin nodded. "So I was not mistaken? they are a couple?" He asked. "I do not think you would make particularly good eating for a hawk." He chuckled.

flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:49 am

"Yeah, they're just silly about it and like to pretend that they're Just Coworkers, even though they're not actually trying to hide it as far as I can tell," James shook his head. "And maybe I'd be terrible eating, but they still might fly off with me before they noticed. Hawks don't have a good sense of smell, right?"

Kooshie
Admin

Characters
Names: Asher, Ellie, Ethan, James, Tala, Vestia, Zara

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:56 am

"I do not know, I am a tailor, not a biologist. Best not to test it." Armin told James. "Humanoids are strange sometimes, particularly when it comes to sex and relationships." He shook his head with a laugh.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:03 am

James headed back down the way they had come. "I'll have to look that up sometime. Someone must know whether hawks can smell here." He laughed, "Yeah, humanoids are weird that way. A lot of them get super nervous, and it doesn't make much sense, because a huge percentage of their species do that stuff too, and it's totally normal. I take it vavare are less silly about the subject?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:11 am

"We do not share the taboos of many other races no. " Armin told him. "Copulation is enjoyable and natural, why should we be ashamed of a natural and enjoyable process? " He followed him down. "There is a degree of societal hypocrisy, where everyone does it, everyone is aware they do and yet nobody can talk about it. That said, there are some races who regard the act of coupling as method by which to strengthen business deals. For the Vavare, it is a way to strengthen bonds, show affection and pass the time." He chuckled.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:34 am

"Sounds like there are many species that should be following your example," James said, amused. "I figure the way Terrans built androids is a reflection of how much they need to change their perspectives on sex. Who builds a being that can get in bed with them, but can't say no? Very messed up, repressed people, that's who." He still looked more amused than anything else. Stupid Terrans.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:47 am

"That is an unsettling thought. Perhaps you are correct, they do need to reassess their attitudes." He shook his head. "You really cannot say no?"
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:54 am

"Until Mourn modified me a week ago, I had to do whatever the person who owned my papers said, like all androids do. Thankfully my last owner is a decent guy, but... Yeah. Gross stuff." James shook his head.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:57 am

"Then you are effectively slaves to the whim of your owners." Armin frowned, that was troubling. "You and the other android are free now yes? Servitude is an awful vile thing. I am glad your liberation was non violent."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:06 am

James nodded. "Yep, that's why they built us. Something that looks like a Terran, and talks like a Terran, but since it isn't a Terran, it doesn't need pesky things like equality." He smiled, "Yes, we're both free. Finding out Asher wasn't taking orders from anybody any more, was one of the best moments of my life."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:47 am

Armin smiled. "You care for your brother, it is admirable. Not everyone can boast such sibling relationships." He shook his head and made a tutting noise. "Do you believe the Terrans acted with foresight? that they knew what they were doing? There are many races who justify unpalatable behaviors with centuries of cultural conditioning. You do not stop to consider it, until someone else questions it and even then, you defend your culture because you cannot believe your people are wrong. We are taught that we must attempt to understand the cultural context of our trading partners and their beliefs. Of course, this does not excuse all behaviors and there are times, such as the terrans, where their dire treatment of a subjugated race can be seen as ignorance rather than malice of forethought. It is no doubt awful for your people, but times do change, cultures change. There was a time when the Vavare females devoured their mates, hundreds of years ago now. But we evolved beyond that as a society, decided it was savage and uncouth, not to mention extraordinarily wasteful. The Terrans, from what I recall of my studies, once considered their females inferior and unequal. Our ancestors were not monsters, they were simply living by a code of conduct that we have grown beyond. We look and think how could they ever think that was alright, but at the time, it simply was how things were. I pray that in time, your people will be able to do the same. Look back and find it difficult to imagine a world where they were not free, equal citizens. "
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:57 am

James thought about that for a bit. "Partly, I think you're right and it's just a cultural thing. There are plenty of people who I don't think are capable of being actively cruel, who still mistreat androids. But I think there are some people who know exactly what they're doing. The people who spent years developing our programming, spent days talking to 'defective' units, and still think we're alive. I'm pretty sure they're real monsters, and will need to be stopped by the law, and not just their own consciences."
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:00 am

Armin nodded. "There will always be monsters, thankfully they are usually a minority. It is likely many terrans have simply never considered the status of androids, just as one does not give much thought to the people you pass on the street. Until you are faced with injustice, you remain ignorant and blind to it." He patted James on the shoulder. "I do not believe the terrans are evil or cruel as a race, but I do believe they are wrong. "
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:14 am

"Yeah, I've met very few Terrans I'd consider to be cruel. They just don't know, or they don't think, or whatever." James smiled, "My brother's gonna fix everything for all the androids, and then we'll all be happy and it'll be great. And I'll try to help although I really don't know how to help," he added.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:15 am

"How is he going to fix things?" Armin asked as they reached the bottom of the stairs.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:21 am

"I'm not sure what his plan is, but he's going to be a hero," James said proudly. He looked around, trying to spot Kay and Asher.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:29 am

"May the weaver bless him then." Armin bowed his head and likewise looked around.

The medics hadn't gone far, mostly because Kay was really not prepared to go wandering over more of those swaying web bridges than strictly necessary. He had however found someone selling herbal remedies and was distracting himself from his fear by asking a lot of questions about what each and every thing was, how it worked and so on. He wouldn't stray far from Asher, keeping him close just in case.

flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:40 am

Asher was half watching the conversation, half watching the vavare going about their days. It was nice to just watch the world sometimes, in his opinion. When he saw Armin and James returning, he went over to them, smiling. "Did you have fun?"

James nodded happily.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:47 am

"The view is as lovely as I remember" Armin smiled.

Kay came over, he still looked a bit unsettled but not quite as petrified as he did. The platforms he decided he could deal with, it was the bridges that divided them that were the problem.

[You should have some interesting sights for the Swarm now then.]
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:52 am

James nodded. "They'll be happy, I think. There's some good stuff in my brain for them now. Did you know aphids here are huge? I mean not just the size of mice, but the size of cows?"
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:56 am

[that would explain the milk.] Kay remarked, he'd noticed that on a few places in the market.

"Oh yes, it is not really milk of course."

[What IS it?] Kay asked suspiciously.

"The sweet sap they eat." Armin told him. "It passes through their system and oozes out of them. The farmers harvest and bottle it." He looked to James "I could perhaps arrange a visit to a local farm if you would like to see the creatures up close. I have an aunt who's family are farmers."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 am

"Oh man Swarm would love that. I'd love that," James wanted to see these giant aphids if he could. They sounded impressive.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:24 am

"I will see what I can arrange for you then. " Armin told him cheerfully. "Would you like to see the rest of the city? "
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:27 am

"Thank you, Armin!" James nodded, "I'd love to see the rest of the city, if you're not getting tired of showing me things."

Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:34 am

"I do not mind, it is a bit of a tour for me as well. It has been so long since I was last here, so much has changed and it is new for me as well."

[That must be difficult]

Armin nodded. "It is.. sobering certainly." He shrugged. "Come, I will show you the residential part of town. With luck my mother has stopped lecturing Berit by this point." He laughed.
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kooshie Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:39 am

"Why is she lecturing Berit?" Asher asked curiously. He moved a bit closer to Kay, in case they were going to be going on lots of bridges.

James stayed close to Armin, wanting to be sure he heard everything.
Kooshie
Kooshie
Admin

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by flying_purple_monkfish Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:55 am

Armin shrugged. "She is displeased that my sister expressed a desire for a fully monogomous relationship with Trygve. It is not that she disapproves of Trygve, he is a fine companion and an excellent choice of mate, but she believes that Berit is limiting her options by taking only one male as her companion. "

[You're usually polygamous?]

Armin nodded. "Females usually will select multiple males to breed with during her fertile period and they will form one family unit, a mother, offspring and multiple fathers. Our mother believes we have been away from our home and culture too long and we have begun to think like humanoids." He laughed and shook his head. "She may be correct, but it is not a dispute I wish to get involved in. Berit may change her mind in time, but we have only just returned home. Now is not the time for such expectations."

Kay nodded. [Yes, keeping out of it sounds prudent. ]

Armin nodded back. "It is usually best to let the females have their disputes and stay out of it."
flying_purple_monkfish
flying_purple_monkfish

Characters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next